Default anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:10:34 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:44:35 GMT, wrote:

Hi,

I am considering trying to get on a night stocking crew with
Lowe's or Home Depot. I like working at night and being
off during the day, and at the moment Lowe's seems best
for me if the hours really are from 4:00AM-1:00PM. Can
anyone tell me about what it pays, how they compare with
Home Depot, or anything else you think should be taken
into consideration? Maybe there are places that would be
better to try to work? Can anyone suggest a better place
to inquire about such things? I know about their websites,
but want to learn about the things they don't tell you there
as well as the things they do.

Thanks for any info or suggestions!
David

I've known people working for HD a long time and they enjoy it. You
don't always get (nor should you expect) to always get a particular
shift, nor a particular department. A person who stocks prolly should
not expect more than $10 an hour, if that. Working at the
headquarters, is very very different, and HD has won awards for "a
good place to work." Personally, I'd prefer to work close to where I
live to avoid the (wasted) commute time.

That's a definate consideration. I could get a job working in
lighting production (which I did for about the past 7 years, and
off and on for about 20 years), paying a good bit better, but
that would require driving 1 hour+ each way every day, and I
would pretty much have to be married to it. I want to get away
from that, and just have a simple job I go do, and then go home
and try to enjoy my own life for a change.
What I'd really like (I think) is the kind of job where you go
*live* it for periods of time like a couple weeks or a month, and
then you're off for a week or so at a time. I wanted to get on
with a big local lighting company that did a lot of touring and
offered such opportunities (I'd been thinking about that for 15
years), but they closed their location in this area just about the
time I finally wanted to go to work for them :-( That's life...oh
ain't it!