Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Solar Panels ?

On May 25, 10:36*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
larkim wrote:
On Friday, 25 May 2012 09:51:24 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher *wrote:
harry wrote:
BTW, I have had a 3.88 Kwp arrray for 13 months now. Last year I had
4013Kwh of electricity. I cut my electric bill by 25% but we are at
home to make use of free electricity.

So thats and average of 457 watts .
*From 3.88 KW capacity panels.

A capacity factor of 11.7%.

I'm surprised you believe that nocturnal generation was expected...

Now why would you ever believe that I expected that?

If I were to comment on the capacity factor of a wind turbine, would you
say "I'm surprised you believe that calm no wind generation was expected"?

I was making the point that even WITH nocturnal losses, you might
naively expect 40% or so,.

BUT teh real point is the peak to mean ratio of about 9:1 which means
that the inverter is 9 times bigger, more material intensive and
expensive than it needs to be simply because on average solar panels
produce feck all, but have to be sized to deal with the occasional sunny
day.

If they actually produced "feck all", you'd have nothing to carp on
about then would you?

Oh, and in Spain, a significant amount of 'solar power' *was* generated
after dark..

http://www.theecologist.org/News/new...panish_nightti...

Everybody knew the Spanish were crooks. The (financial) birds have
come home to roost now for them.