Edwin Pawlowski

Default Door knob latch hole is too big...

"gk245" wrote in message newspr5wx3xa0qp3ppy@debian...

I am trying to replace a door knob for a very old door and it seems like
the latch hole for the door is very big compared to the new knob latches
they make nowadays. Its much easier to make something smaller, but here
its the opposite. I am wondering if i should get a new door or are there
workarounds this issue?

Thanks.

Sounds like the old mortise type setups I had in my last house. Why not
make a big plug to fit the existing hole? Glue it in place, use a little
filler, then re-drill as needed.

Before you replace the door, stop and take a good look at what you have.
Some older homes had very nice solid wood panel doors. In the sixties people
tore them out to put in modern crappy luan flush doors as that was high
style for the day. Now they are paying a fortune to get the panel doors
back.

You may be able to find a new handle and lockset from a restoration supply
house. That way you would have a good working, authentic style door and
hardware.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome