gk245

Default Door knob latch hole is too big...

I am trying to replace a door knob for a very old door and it seems like
the latch hole for the door is very big compared to the new knob latches
they make nowadays. Its much easier to make something smaller, but here
its the opposite. I am wondering if i should get a new door or are there
workarounds this issue?

Thanks.

P.S. Here is a pic of the latch hole, its the 9th picture from the top and
has somone with a chisel on it:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/d...nstall/new.htm

The pic caption says: "The we used a 1" wide chisel to carefully cut out
the recess for the latch".

Its that latch hole that is at least 4-5inches long in the old door and
the knew knob i bought has a latch that is only like 1.5inches long.