Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Pays to Do Some Math... 1.3 Million lines of code

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I have confidence in you. It will be fine.

Sigh. I pulled it off the machine half an hour ago. Had a hiccup and lost
position at the first 3D MOP. All the rest of the pockets looked perfect,
but none of them line up with the sprues. 23 hours wasted beautifully
cutting the cavities in the wrong place. Sigh. Looks like a machine
problem, but I can't find it. Backlash is starting to build again since I
swapped the screws, but it seems to move as smooth as can be. Maybe over a
million lines of code was just too much for the computer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I finished a prototype mold for somebody yesterday. Just a little 2
cavity
to test the concept. The I nested it out and blew it up to a full work
envelope 22 cavity mold and started it cutting about 10:00 last night.
When
I ran a simulation on it it said it would take 23 1/2 hours. WHAT? Its
just a simple little stacked 3d cylinder shape. Didn't take me ten
minutes
to do the CAD, and maybe half an hour to do the CAM. I let my "gee that
will be easy" thought over ride the fact that it still takes a lot of time
to cut a 3D cavity. Oops. For some reason I was thinking 5 or 6 hours
tops. I couldn't figure out why it will take that long. Then I scrolled
the end of the file and checked the line counter.

1,391,851

Ok, so there are an average of 2 comment lines per MOP, and 2 lines of
setup
words per MOP. Each nest creates its own group of MOPS, so that is a
total
of 111 MOPs. Worst case there are 222 non-functional comment lines and
about the same number of machine setup lines of code. 1,391,851 - 450
misc
non movement lines of code.... is an insignificant difference. Most
folks
would round up and say 1.4 MILLION lines of code. LOL.

I'm just praying it doesn't crash. I have no clue how I would recover
this
job if I lost reference. Should finish some time this evening. I gotta
remember to break these up into smaller job files in the future.