Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default How do welding shade numbers add up? Eclipse viewing.

On Wed, 23 May 2012 05:06:22 +0000 (UTC)
(Edward A. Falk) wrote:

In article , Steve B wrote:

Sent my wife today for two 4 x 5 shade 14 lenses. They said they were out,
and had sold 14,000 lenses. We are SMACK DAB in the middle of the path here
in Toquerville, Utah. My NexGen only goes up to 13. What's up with that?

Will your NexGen activate in sunlight? I found that my cheapo mask
will not. Apparently it's designed not to trigger on a steady light
source and there's no manual trigger.

It's all moot now, I suppose, except that the transit of Venus
is coming soon.

Just something to try...

What if you point it at the Sun and then use something like a sparker
(torch lighter, Bic lighter) to trigger it to go dark. Will it stay dark
then, maybe?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b