Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT - Blue Rhino proprietary valve

On Wed, 23 May 2012 03:37:54 -0500, wrote:

OK, Now I'm puzzled.....

I dont buy those tanks or any prefilled ones. I have my own tanks and
get them filled. However, I was under the impression that if I take ANY
tank to a place that sells prefilled tanks, I can trade in my tank for
the deposit and get a full one.

So lets say that I take my store boughten tank, or a tank from another
of these companies that sell prefilled tanks to a Blue Rhino place. I
leave my tank and buy theirs. Are they going to change the valve on
every tank they get that is not their own? That seems pretty stupid as
well as costly for them.

Not so dumb. You got rid of a perfectly good tank and took one of
their short fills. Now you have to go back to them for refills. For
a few dollars, they sucked you in to become a regular customer.

I was fortunate in that a local dealer would fill my old style tanks
for a few years. Very sensible, IMO.