Posted to uk.d-i-y
mogga mogga is offline

Default Raised beds

On Wed, 23 May 2012 00:12:26 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Mine will only be accessible from one side - so only 2' front to back.

Metre cubed from Wickes about £120.

Blinking heck!

We paid £26 a ton from a lawn company locally. Including delivery. We
had 5 tons delivered though.

I have raised beds from pallet collars on my allotment. They're
anything from free to £6 depending where you can source them.
They are hinged so fold up nicely to go in a car.

I've not bothered lining them as I assume by the time they rot I'll
want to move things round anyway.

If one does a section of 3x3" post in each corner, would it be worth
extending this above the top a bit? - either to make something nice to
tie strings to for support etc (thinking vegetable use here)...

Mine are going to be either side of a pergola, so I'm having posts
anyway.

It also occurred to me that they could be - on occasion - topped by
perspex 'lids' in timber frames to act as mini greenhouses (can't think
of the name).

Closh or something like that...

Cloche or cold frame.

I think one of the post garden shops does a lovely range of these for
about £80 each.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk