Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised beds

On 23/05/2012 00:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2012 23:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/05/2012 22:03, John Rumm wrote:

SWMBO wants some raised beds made, railway sleepers or similar.

While on the subject...

Design issues:

What is the optimal depth? Ideal size?

I looked at some ready made kits, and they all seemed quite shallow -
some as little as 6". Many made from very skimpy timber as well.

I was thinking 18" to 24" high.

I was thinking either 9x2" tanalised, or perhaps 2 x 5x2" - the latter
could be joined nicely at the corners with a 2.5"x2" notch out of the
corners allowing a pair of half lap joints.

Nice. That would work for 18" with 2 x 9"x2" or 3 x 8"x2".

Need to keep a little in mind how much top soil one will need...
8' x 4' (keep the middle reachable from either side) and 12" deep would
be 32 cubic feet - that's a fair amount of soil.

About 1.2 tonne / m^3 IIRC?

Mine will only be accessible from one side - so only 2' front to back.

Metre cubed from Wickes about £120.

'kinell... remind me not to go there... Or did you have a missing
decimal point?

:-) First place I looked! My local BM doesn't actually have a web site!

Fork andles?

£15/ton delivered locally (£10 if you can collect!)

http://www.sand-man.co.uk/default.asp?textpage=home