Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised beds

On 22/05/2012 20:26, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/22/2012 3:18 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
SWMBO wants some raised beds made, railway sleepers or similar.

They are going on an area which is currently slabbed with those
attractive 70's pink & yellow slabs - which will be removed.

Carpentry no problem - but should raised beds be lined with anything?

Not worried about the timber rotting - it will be pressure treated. More
moisture retention.

When I built deep raised beds, I put a layer of rock/rubble at the
bottom for drainage, then lined the bottom and sides with landscape
fabric, to stop the soil filtering into the rocks. It's been years now,
and seems to be working well. I used man-made 'ashlar' stones, rather
than timber.

I'm assuming there will be hardcore under the slabs, so fabric seems a
good idea - ta.