bicycle bill bicycle bill is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan[_3_] View Post
I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?
ok for PHAROH ANTS, also known as SUGAR ANTS use MINT JELLY with BORIC ACID.... 1 tablespoon boric acid to every 4 onces of mint jelly, Place on lids from 1 gallon water bottles and PLACE IN AREAS THAT CHILDREN AND PETS CANT REACH. Water bottle lids could be a CHOKING HAZARD, if you have young children use cardboard instead or DECIDE NOT TO USE THIS SOLUTION AT ALL. Although solution is considered safe, better to take precautions. CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL NUMBER TO BE SURE THAT IT IS SAFE.

WHAT YOU EXPECT TO SEE
The first couple days they will hoard on the solution. The ants will bring the posion(boric acid) back with them to the nest. When they have disapeaed the most imeddiate nests have been killed. Then a week later the second wave will come, from nests that are further away. Then they will disappear again, and then a few straglers will appear about a week later. By keeping the baits out you will no longer have a problem with these ants. I had problem with these ants so bad that they we actually biting me. I didn't know that they bite, previously.

NOW TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION

Window cleaner is great for killing ants, it kills them on contact, stops them in there tracks, Sorry water alone will not do that. It is the amoninia in the window cleaner. I am going to try a 10% ammonia to water ratio first, to see if it kills the ants instantly. If it doesnt then I will try 20%. And lastly 30% I dont think the ratio is higher than that. It is most likley in the 20 percent range, based on my research on the topic.

LASTLY

Window cleaner also is great for killing MOSQUITOES, my walls are light colored so that I can see the mosquitos. Swatting usually misses, where as the spray from window cleaner is fast and knocks the mosquito to the floor where you can squish. But the ammonia will kill if you dont squish. PALMETOS AND ROACHES great for killing them too. As long as you spray them, even if they hide, the ammonia kills them too. FRUIT FLIES, DRAIN FLIES, PORAID FLIES, HOUSE FLIES, FLIES ETC.
IT DID NOT KILL... SOME SPIDERS AND WASPS.

Last edited by bicycle bill : May 22nd 12 at 10:14 PM Reason: typos