Charlie Self

Default anyone work for Lowe's or Home Depot?

Mark responds:

I don't know how low minimum wage is where you are, but, up here in
Canada, I could weep for anyone dead-ended in any kind of retail job,
Home Depot or otherwise.

You speak of that which you know not.

Many of the people at HD (can't speak to Lowes specifically,
but they would have to be market competitive to survive) are
former tradesmen who are reasonably compensated for their
knowledge of the trades.

I've personally spoken to two at a local HD (U.S.) that were
willing to disclose their wage. One had retired from his
trade, the other was moonlighting. The first was earning
$16/hour, the second $13 (he was part time evenings, the
easiest shift to staff for these stores).

That's a far cry from minimum wage.

Some of the clerks may be at minimum, but I don't think many are. And those
with woodworking or contracting experience tend to do better. Know a guy in
Virginia who had retired as a contractor, moved to VA, built his house, his
daughter's house, was bored spitless. HD opened up and he got a job doing
demonstrations. 18 bucks an hour for about all the hours he wanted the work. He
didn't really need the money, but he had gone through hydorponic gardening
(commercially, small scale) and a couple other hobbies, so decided to keep
busy.

Not exactly minimum wage. Not what he made as a contractor, either, but
certainly better than $5.15. an hour.

Now, Walmart does pay that kind of low end bucks. Do we complain about the help
there?

Charlie Self
"It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore