Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default google buys Motorola

On May 21, 1:26*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The problem was that Motorola was trying to follow the RCA example of
forcing the independent service shops out of business by controlling
their access to parts. *At first, one had to be "authorized" which
simply meant going through an ordeal process and purchasing an
unreasonable amount of spare parts.

I'm not sure what you mean by this Jeff. I recall the RCA had a
unique warranty on the XL100s that allowed the warranty to be serviced
by ANY repair company authorized or not, at least initially (1971 or
so). Later on they went back to authorized service centers, but we
NEVER had trouble getting parts or service. RCA always had excellent
schematics and tech support right up until RCA's demise. I know a lot
of service shops hated RCA because they were among the first to do
away with modules and require component level repair, including smds.

John