Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Bill Proms wrote:

As a possible replacement, I have considered an atomic LED clock, but these
appear to be next to impossible to come by for some reason. I see LCD
atomic clocks everywhere, but most or all have to have the backlight pressed
to see the time in dim conditions.

It's because the US is trying to get rid of those broadcasts. With GPS they
are obsolete.

Then why did they replace the WWVB towers & transmitters a couple
years ago? They built a better antenna array, and raised the
transmitter power so that it can be received in Florida on a $20 'Atomic
clock'.

Not only are they not looking to discontinue the service, but they
are looking at a new modulation method to improve noise immunity. This
web page from NIST says that there are about 50,000,000 radio controlled
clocks using WWVB in the United States:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/newsletter/radio.cfm