Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calcium in well water?

On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:54:23 +0000 (UTC), "Arklin K."
wrote:

The 'only' problems I've had are the white stuff in the hose and the
bubbling of the hot water heater and the white stuff on the bottom of the
kitchen pot and the specks of 'sand' on the bottom of cups where water is
left in them to sit.

If you're getting specks of sand, you might have the pump too low in the
well (too close to the bottom). This could be due to poor installation,
or the well might be accumulating sand (filling up) due to the way the
ground water is entering it. For example, my well is 300 ft deep, the
pump is at 280 ft. If you're pump is only a few feet from the bottom,
you will be sucking sand. BAD FOR THE PUMP TOO!

I'd have the well inspected by a professional well company before doing
anything else. If you have any data about the well from when the pump
was installed, it should say the depth. Normally they write this on the
manual that came with the pump and give it to the homeowner. If you
know that, you can actually measure the well depth with a weight
attached to a string.

None of those really bother me (except maybe if I'm ruining my hot water
heater - although I read the post that said calcium is good for the hot
water heater).

Plus the pool has white sandy stuff on it but pool water needs calcium.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8229592.jpg

Seeing the picture, I sure would not worry about that... If anything, it
provides a slip free surface. You'd be stepping on sand in a lake!!!

The repalcement of that 15 to 20 year old
tank cost around $200 for the tank, $40 for parts, and $120 labor. ($360
total). MUCH LESS THAN $6000

Agreed. Out here, you can't get a decent gas hot water tank for less than
about $600 to $800 or so (IIRC) as I replaced one a few years back
(bought the best I could find at OSH which was the major cost since I did
it myself - and had to also pay for the permit which ended up being a
waste of money).

This house has two of them hooked in series - so it's twice that if they
fail. I see I should be emptying them yearly! I never touched them!

In your case, I'd empty and flush them TWICE a year or more often. You
must use a lot of hot water to need two tanks. Did you say you're in
Florida? Or did I confuse this with another post on here? If you are
in FL, you should rig up a Solar Pre-heater for your hot water.
Basically a storage tank painted black and placed in the sun, with
piping from the cold water to the input of the hot water tank(s).

I'm in a northern climate and I made one. Saved a lot of money in fuel.
Except up here I have to constantly be on alert in late fall and early
spring, or the pipes freeze during cold snaps. And of course it cant be
used in winter. You can buy commercial units, or you cna make them from
odds and ends. I built mine from recycled materials. Cost me less than
$100.

Basically it's a flat black tank (BBQ grill paint), placed inside of a
glass enclosure (2 old storm windows in the shape of a V, with plywood
ends). The rest is just piping, and a ONE WAY valve to prevent heated
water going backward into the cold water system. I have mine in the
backyard in a sunny location. It sits on the lawn on top of some
concrete blocks with plywood across them. (some people put them on their
roofs).

Note: (You want FLAT black, not glossy paint, glossy will reflect some
of the heat away).