Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Virgin media, Pirates Bay and US TV shows

On 21/05/2012 16:46, Robin wrote:
A quick check would be for VM users to see if they can reach the site
using 194.71.107.15 in their web browser rather than the normal URL
(that IP resolving to the site as of the time of writing at least).

Indeed (and I can confirm it don't work). Nor (contrary to what some
claimed) does the use of an https connection.

If they have layered their block on top of cleanfeed, then they
internally route any http requests that match a blacklist of IP
addresses through the IWF filtering proxy server. Which in theory can
match on a page by page basis. Even https connections can terminate at
the proxy and allow it to see the content.

Out of interest, I wonder what happens if one creates your own hosts
file entry for a target site, but with a different name, say:

mypbay 194.71.107.15

http://mypbay/browse

That ought not match on a full URL comparison...

But if Adam insists on using TPB (even when his CCTV and neighbours seem
to offer so much entertainment) then I am given to understand that at
present there are still plenty of proxies - eg
https://tpb.pirateparty.org.uk

--
Cheers,

John.