Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Virgin media, Pirates Bay and US TV shows

On 21/05/2012 13:35, Robin wrote:
IIUC, most of the "blocking" is going on at the DNS level[1] - i.e.
they have altered the content of their name servers such that when
you try and resolve one of the censored domain names, it returns the
address of a local server which the ISP has setup to return a page
saying (in effect) "bog off".

FWIW (bearing in mind you are not (usually) a VM user) I don't think it
is DNS. Two reasons: (i) switching to another DNS does not allow HTML
access; and (ii) tracerts to TPB are not blocked or diverted whatever
DNS is used.

You may well be right - I don't have a way of testing on VM, however I
was going from reports of what BT etc seem to have done.

A quick check would be for VM users to see if they can reach the site
using 194.71.107.15 in their web browser rather than the normal URL
(that IP resolving to the site as of the time of writing at least).

Another obvious workaround is to simply do a search on google for a
site's URL with the word "cache:" appended to the front - getting a copy
of the most recent cached copy from google's own cache rather than
direct from the site (although note this is not as well suited to access
to database driven "dynamic" sites like TPB)

--
Cheers,

John.