Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

On May 19, 7:13*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Ian Field" wrote :

"gregz" wrote in message
-september
.org...
"N_Cook" wrote:
Bill Proms wrote in message
I have 3 Intelli-Time LED alarm clocks around the house, just like
the one
he

http://www.acurite.com/clock/alarm-c...igital-alarm-c
lock-13 027a2.html

I initially bought these due to them keeping time when the power
goes off
and auto resetting for DST. *There is a problem, however. *Each of
the clocks becomes inaccurate over time. *If I set them all
manually to the
same
time, within a few months, each one will be off by 3-5 minutes.

So I ask, what is the problem and is there any way to repair it?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

I've always put this down to hash on the mains being interpreted as
extra cycles by the clock monitoring input. The supply companies
contractually have to correct the mains frequency so an exact number
of cycles per day (50/60)x60x60x24, but at any instant can be above
or below the nominal frequency.

I doubt if any use power line for sync. Most have battery backup.
Crystals jump frequency from time to time.

Even one I bought recently uses mains sync, but it has a battery &
crystal divider backup to cover outages.

The mains frequency varies depending on peak demand/off peak, but long
term its average has less drift than the cheap crystal oscillator
they're going to put in a radio alarm clock.

radio alarm clock probably won't even use an xtal;like Jeff L. says,they
may use a cheap RC osc.

I note my MW oven clock that derives it's clock from line freq. has better
stability than other "digital" clocks.(like my PC clock....)

(of course,I use an internet program to keep the PC clock fairly close. I
used to use a program(Atomic Clock) that direct-dialed the Naval
Observatory,but the long distance calls cost too much.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Try PC Atomic Sync. You select your time server and the PC can sync
every hour or day or manual. I turn machines off at night and have the
sync program run once at boot AND set the PC 15 seconds fast. When
they start recording TV they never clip the head.

The OP referenced a clock that sets itself. How can it be wrong? WWVB
clocks usually have problems receiving the data during the day - too
much noise but work well at night. This implies you need a decent time
base between successful data reads. My 'goofy clock' uses the power
line as the time base but switches to the uProc clock during power
failures. The uProc clock can be 'calibrated' for reasonable accuracy.
What happens is the crystal frequency is divided down to make a fake
60Hz reference pulse when the power line is absent and the divisor is
'tweaked'. I have the WWVB receivers and the code is mostly written
for goofy.