Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin[_2_] Paul Franklin[_2_] is offline

Default Trex or ???

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:44:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My pressure treated deck is in need of stain and possibly a couple of
boards replaced. I'm thinking of putting on new boards instead.

The Trex looks OK, but are there other brands better? Other materials
better, such as mahogany or cedar?

The boards are 16' so no cutting, just replacing board for board. I
want to keep it simple as the frame and rails are still in perfect
shape. Joists are 16" OC.

I went with Timbertech Earthwood evolutions. It's composite inside
with a layer of PVC extruded over it. Supposed to merge the best of
Composite and PVC. It has a wood grain surface texture that makes it
less slippery when wet. Probably closer to $55 for a 16 footer. (I
used the grooved planks with hidden fasteners, plain planks may be
cheaper.)

I really wanted to go with wood; but in the end the near zero
maintenance of composite won out. I've got close to 600 sq ft of deck
plus railing and having to put any treatment on it every year or two
is a lot of work I'd rather use for something more fun.

It's a beautiful deck and so far has only required a quick pressure
wash in the spring and occasional hosing off to make it look like new.

One disadvantage of composite vs. wood, especially in darker colors:
it gets *hot*! On an 80 degree day with full sun it's very
uncomfortable to walk on barefoot. (I have dark brown color). The
old wood deck got hot, but not nearly this hot.

The hidden fasteners are nice by the way, and go down quick as long as
your framing is nice and even.

HTH,

Paul F.