Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tradesmen time wasters maybe OT

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 19 May 2012 21:06:12 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Half the customers are ******s.

Maybe beacuse they are ****ed off with other tradesmen so start to
ask "awkward" questions to try and find the grain of wheat in the
bucket full of chaff.

I have talked to two roofers about a retile+insulation.

The first was helpful - but was a bit vague about how to handle a sudden
downpour - and thought some 5mm thick "space foil" funky stuff was as good
as severla inches of celotex. I checked - it wasn't.

The second one said a load of stuff, and when I said some stuff (techincal -
had been researching the area), he said some different stuff that agreed
with me and contradicted the first set of things he's said. The BS meter
went off so that was that.

The only good paid professionals I have ever had were a plasterer who did a
load of skimming - he was helpful, especially about price - told me exactly
how he'd like the first application of PVA done so I wouldn't have to pay
him to do it (effectively wasting a day of his time at my expense doing no
actual plastering).

The other was a floor tiling job where the bloke was delighted to discuss
the finer points of products, appraise my previous wall tiling work and
offer some excellent tips if I wanted to save time on any future floor work
I might do myself - a real craftsman...
--
Tim Watts