Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Tradesmen time wasters maybe OT

F news@nowhere wrote:

On 20/05/2012 12:49 The Medway Handyman wrote:

10% of calls are after 9pm, before 8am or on Sundays.

As someone who has generally done-it-himself, this is a genuine problem.
When should I ring for a quote?

After 9pm would seem to be an obvious no-no, as would before 8am, but
what times are 'acceptable'?

Between 8 and 6. Up until 8pm Mon-Thurs. is generaly acceptable, but
working hours are best, as my diary will always be near to me. Sundays
only for emergencies.

Someone ****ed me off so much a few weeks ago, by calling me on a Sunday
afternoon, that I told them I didnt want the job I was meant to be
starting a week later.
That was the last straw from them, I was booked to do 3 days work, and
they were paying a pitiful day rate. I'm busy at the mo, but said I
would do it as they are friends of friends.
We agreed what I was to do, they kept adding bits on, I kept saying i
cannot do it all in 3 days. They wanted some doors. They said Wickes
were out of stock, I said why not try Howdens (I have an account with
them). Then behind my back, they went to Howdens and bought the doors,
on my account. The first thing I knew about it was when the Howdens rep
rang me up to ask if it is alright to give them the doors.

And then, of course, I was going to be fitting the 6 new doors in the 3
days too.

So, they called me on the Sunday afternoon, "B+Q have a 30% off sale,
shall we buy this 10kw shower?"
No, I said, I can get it cheaper., "OK, if you can buy it, you can fit
it when you come next week" I said it wasnt that simple, as they'll need
a new cable, and RCD protection. "OK, do that when you are here"

So my 3 days at £85 / day had turned into 6 days, and there was no way i
could fit in those extra 3 days without annoying other customers I had
booked in.
So they got the boot.