Kim

Default Wood for Childrens Blocks

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 08:40:49 -0600, Wyatt Wright wrote:

What kind of wood would be good for children's construction blocks -
Cubes, triangles, etc.

I was thinking ash or maple. I might make some by laminating two woods
with contrasing colors.

I will probably leave them unfinished, but is there an acceptable finish
for something that might end up in a toddler's mouth?

Thanks all.

Any of the finishes used on turned stuff that holds food would be good. If
you want to color some of the blocks, consider milk paint.

More important perhaps, make the blocks large enough so they can't fit in
the toddlers mouth.

White Oak would make nice blocks perhaps. I never made blocks
(intentionally) so thats just my opinion.