Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof cost.

On Sat, 19 May 2012 06:20:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 19, 2:07*am, "Doug" wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2012 00:31:02 -0400, "

wrote:
On Fri, 18 May 2012 05:43:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 17, 11:35 pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012 20:02:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 17, 10:52 pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012 19:40:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 17, 12:42 am, "Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 18:52:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On May 16, 5:20 pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:45:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On May 16, 2:57 pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2012 10:19:53 -0400, "TomR" wrote:
Mike wrote:
I'm trying to research the cost of a new roof.
I have a old house built in 1900.
It's 2.5 story house. There's about 1100sf on the 1st and 2nd floor.

The measurements of the roof line is 33 by 33 and the pitch is very
steep.

I'll need a total rip off along with new decking.
I'm interested in 40 year dimensional asphalt shingles.

I hoping I can keep my gutters since I replaced them about 3 years
ago.

Is this all possable for under 12k.

Any imput would be helpful
Thanks

The good news is that it is easy to get a couple of estimates for this type
of job. It is pretty much a straight up job that doesn't require a lot of
explanation. You would just let the contractors know that it is a complete
tear-off down to the rafters and that you want all new decking and 40-year
dimensional asphalt shingles, and that you would like to be able to keep the
existing gutters and downspouts if they think that is possible.

You don't even have to be there when they do the estimate although if it
were me I would want to be there and hear what they say, see what they are
like to deal with and talk to etc.. But, since they do not need to go into
your house to do the estimate, they can do it anytime without you having to
meet them there.

Your 1100 sq. ft. estimate may or may not be correct. If any of the roofers
do measure it and tell you the actual number of "squares" it is, that would
be good to know. A "square" is 100 sq. ft. (10' x 10'). If your estimate
of 1100 sq. ft. is correct, you have 11 squares.

I don't think so. His roof is on a steep pitch not flat so it's going
to be more than 11 squares. And then the roof may have misc on it to
add to that. Bottom line is more than 11 squares.- Hide quoted text -

As I said/asked in an earlier post:

Why does it matter how many squares the roof is?

The final price is going to be the final price based on not only the
size of the roof, but any other work that may need to be done.

If 3 or more contractors give estimates within a reasonable range of
each other, adjusted for differences in the actual work they'll do and
what materials they will use, what does is matter if the roof is 11
squares, 111 squares or 1.1 squares?

I had 5 estimates and not one of them included the number of squares.
4 of the 5 were within a few of hundred dollars of each other for the
tear-off/re-roof portion of the estimate. One was way out of line for
other reasons.

Why does the number of squares matter - unless, of course, you are
buying your own material?

I'm NOT arguing with you but don't you think it's a good idea for
future reference?

No.

I do.

Why?

I also had a new roof put on about 1 year ago. They estimated mine at
40 to 45 squares including the detached garage.

And what will you do with that information "in the future"?

If your answer is going to be "so I can get a rough estimate" then
you'd better also remember how long your ridges are, how many feet of
ice and water shield you'll need, the number and length of valleys,
etc. or your rough estimate will be so rough it won't be worth the
trouble you went through to remember how many squares you'll need.

Nonsense where I live. If the roofer does enough roofs in the same
area, he knows the average $/square to do the job.

So what I think I'm hearing is this...correct me if I'm wrong.

The next time you need a roof, you're going to call around and ask a
number of roofers to give you an estimate on "40 - 45 squares".

Then, once you have those numbers, you'll choose one or more to come
over and give you an actual quote.

Is that what you mean when you say knowing how many squares is "a good
idea for future reference"?

For my own house, the estimate and the actual quote were close.

So, you knew the number of squares before hand and got some "remote
estimates" before anyone came to the house?

If not, what was the estimate based on?

Google Earth?

I'm not kidding. I've heard that roofing companies are, or were, using GE for
estimates. The geometry and difficulty of the job can be seen a long way off.
;-)

Sure, for a rough estimate based on size/configuration, but you can't
see the details that add a hundred here, two hundred there, from outer
space.

That's exactly what they're doing, a rough estimate.

My final quote went up by a third once we discussed everything that I
wanted and/or needed to be done.

Those details can be discussed over the phone, too.

There's no way a decent estimate can be given without a face to face
discussion - unless you're the type that just says OK and doesn't ask
questions so that you truly understand what you are getting for your
money.

Nonsense.

You and I are on the same page. * He's just being silly because he
can't admit he's wrong.

It's not a question of right or wrong. It's just two different ways of
going about getting an estimate. For me, based on my experience,
getting an estimate simply based on the size of my roof doesn't make
sense. It would not even be close to the actual number on the other
factors involved. There were too many others detailed that needed to
be discussed on site.

Now you're back pedaling. No one said there aren't different ways to make
estimates. *YOU* said that the estimator had to be there in person; wrong.