Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

"Bill Proms" wrote in message
Yes, there are power interruptions and surges on occasion, but the former
LED clocks I had never lost time over periods of years.

As a possible replacement, I have considered an atomic LED clock, but
these appear to be next to impossible to come by for some reason. I see
LCD atomic clocks everywhere, but most or all have to have the backlight
pressed to see the time in dim conditions.

In the UK we have MSF60 (60kHz time signal) and Europe the DCF 70, so far
I've yet to see a compatible clock with LED display.

My solution is to have a mains synchronised LED clock sitting next to a
MSF60 LCD clock - then simply adjust the LED clock whenever it gets a minute
or 2 out of step.

It might be possible to test the spikes causing extra clock cycles theory by
gutting a small PC PSU box that has filtered mains inlet and adding more
capacitors and MOV or sidac spike protection.

The mains "in spec" frequency is actually an average - at peak demand its
allowed to be slow, and catches up at off peak times when they can run the
generators a little faster with little energy expenditure.

Depending what time of day you check the time; a mains sync clock can be
slow, fast or just right.