Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
Barring the possibility that your powerline frequency is erratic, I'm
inclined to accept Mr Cook's explanation -- that these clocks have poor
powerline filtering, and spikes get through to trip the counter. You might
try putting a ferrite choke on the line.

The LED clock has become uncommon, if only because it doesn't lend itself

cordless operation. I keep one in the bedroom for those occasions when I
need a loud alarm, but it's not atomically controlled.

This one looks interesting. It file://claims// to always display the

correct time
and adjust for DST -- which would require access to a stable time source.

http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Instrum.../dp/B0000C0XPQ
/ref=sr_1_22?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1337435811&sr= 1-22

You might look for atomic clocks using vacuum-fluorescent displays.

This is an interesting monitor of UK mains frequency, especially when its
breaktime on commercial TV carrying football or some opium of the people
soap-opera
http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm
But cycles summed over a day has to be spot on.
I want to know when the utility companies will give away "intelligent"
fridges rather than CFL , that only come on when this frequency is high

All the LED clocks I've ever had experience of always gain , never loose
time, maybe only a minute a quarter , but only gaining. So my assumption its
due to mains hash