Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tradesmen time wasters maybe OT

On Sat, 19 May 2012 17:42:17 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I am sick and tired of replying to adverts for services, getting an
answer phone, leaving a message, then getting no call back. If they do
call back a percentage make an appointment they don't keep. why do they
go to the trouble and expense of advertising if they do not want or need
the work? At the moment I am trying to get gardening work done,I have
called 4 peeps to date and only one response! As this is D-I-Y perhaps I
am being OT/ Sorry, but as there plenty of tradesmen posting here maybe
they have an explanation.

I assume that they listen to all the messages when they get home and
only call back the jobs they fancy, the easy money ones. If you're
leaving a message and saying that it's a small 1-2 hour job or it's
something unpleasant, they probably won't bother. I know a few builders
and building maintenance guys and even in the current economic climate
they're able to pick and choose their jobs.

Personally, I keep an ear out with all the people I know, I'll either
know someone who can do the job or get a recommendation for someone
reliable who has done work for a friend. I think the checkatrade website
was mentioned the other day, might be worth taking a look there.

That checkatrade jingle is *so* annoying.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org