Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] is offline

Default OT Olympics The game

On Fri, 18 May 2012 16:06:55 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

That was a different and later campaign. Bombers raids on Britain were
mainly in the first couple of years of the war, with casualties of
54,206 in 1940 and 42,722 in 1941, which dropped to 7,387 in 1942 and
5,822 in 1943. The V weapons increased them to 30,499 in 1944.

That's news to me - pretty effective then. Impressed.

Indeed; the evil genius of Hitler's weapons makers did go largely
unrecognised. I suspect that post-war relief and weariness just wanted
to shove it to one side, understandably.
I was intrigued to read of a TV-guided wire-linked glider bomb that
actually scored a success in the Bay of Biscay by sinking a merchant
ship in the last year of the war. The device went undeveloped but was
many years ahead of its time; if the war had lasted another year or
two, there was a lot of stuff that would have been of its time,
indeed.