Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Proms Bill Proms is offline

Default LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

Yes, there are power interruptions and surges on occasion, but the former
LED clocks I had never lost time over periods of years.

As a possible replacement, I have considered an atomic LED clock, but these
appear to be next to impossible to come by for some reason. I see LCD
atomic clocks everywhere, but most or all have to have the backlight pressed
to see the time in dim conditions.

Bill

"Pat" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 May 2012 08:51:38 -0400, "Bill Proms"
wrote:

I have 3 Intelli-Time LED alarm clocks around the house, just like the one
he

http://www.acurite.com/clock/alarm-c...k-13027a2.html

I initially bought these due to them keeping time when the power goes off
and auto resetting for DST. There is a problem, however. Each of the
clocks becomes inaccurate over time. If I set them all manually to the
same
time, within a few months, each one will be off by 3-5 minutes.

So I ask, what is the problem and is there any way to repair it?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

You didn't mention if there had been actual power interruptions during
the period you are measuring. Most inexpensive clocks use the power
line frequency to keep time when they have power, but use a cheap
oscillator when the power is off. I have one that keeps very good
time normally, but during a power outage, it runs very fast (gains 5
minutes per hour). That is good in that the alarm goes off in time
for me to get up and go to work, but I always have to reset the time
after a power outage. Some of your clocks might be close while others
are way off but only during a power outage.

Pat