Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default a problem with electric meters?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 17:43:09 -0400, "Ceesar Milan" ceesar@comcast
wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message ...
the smart meters must save money over their lifetime, and the ability
to disconnect no pay customers saves bucks too

Bingo!

Nothing like a disconnect to motivate even the lasiest of welfare queens up off the couch to go pay their bill.

Well, I'm not a welfare queen, or a queen of any sort, or even
femaile, but I've neglected to pay my bill. Once the power was
disconnected in the afternoon and I had paid the billl soon after. By
5:30 I became convinced that the work day was over and I wouldn't be
reconnected until the next day. So I cut the seal on meter, took out
the meter, and removed the plastic covers on the 2 or 3 big prongs in
the back of the meter, and recconnected myself.

I was surprised when the Electric Co. guy showed up an hour or two
later. I told him someone else had come and reconnected it, and he
left.

That sounded perfectly reasonable when I said it, but I eventually
concluded that he his job was disconnecting and reconnecting, and for
any location on a given day, only one person had that job. One guy
per region. The fact that he was working to 7:30 or so is what
convinced me. So he knew he was the only one who would come and no
one else had come, but he didn't let on. He also knew I had paid what
I owed.

I knew it would be easy to reconnect, because the first time I was
disconnected, I found the plactic prong covers on the ground weeks
afterwards, and figured out what they were.

When I get a smart meter, I won't be able to do that anymore. ;-(

;(