Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Existing Stain on Oak

On 5/18/2012 11:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/18/12 10:55 AM, Leon wrote:
On 5/18/2012 10:50 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/18/12 10:01 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/18/2012 8:34 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

did you get splotchy results with that dye stain?

Oak should not give you a blotchy results as a rule.

Maple certainly will, and it is notoriously difficult to control the
blotchyness under the best of circumstances.

I'm joining this discussion late, so pardon the tangent....
I've had pretty good results by using this pre-stain conditioner before
dyes...
http://www.generalfinishes.com/retail-products/water-base-wood-stains-dyes

I have never use a prestain conditioner. How do "you" apply it?

I don't remember exactly how I did, but I do remember calling their
customer service and asking for tips. They said that the directions on
the can were the only "tips" they'd have.
IIRC, I just applied and wiped. I may have used a foam brush to
liberally apply it, then good old t-shirt rags to wipe off.

Here's a pic of the results on either beech or birch, which will blotch
like maple. I'll let you judge... I don't know, maybe it'd still
blotchy, I can't tell. :-)

http://xrl.us/blotchornot

Looks good to me. I thought I was looking a Padauk.