Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Existing Stain on Oak

On 5/18/2012 8:34 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Leon,

did you get splotchy results with that dye stain?

Not at all but I did "apply liberally", it almost pooled on the top as I
applied but I immediately wiped the excess off each section at a time.
Basically the stuff is so thin that it penetrates immediately so you
need to apply enough so that you get good coverage. Not complicated, it
takes 4~10 seconds to understand how much to apply.

Now General Finishes also makes a "regular" water based stain which is
much thicker by comparison and is a bit easier to deal with and raises
the grain a bit less.

http://www.generalfinishes.com/retai...se-wood-stains

And the results here with the "non dye" water based stain.
I was going for a nonformal country look here. My grandmother pained
these 50 years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/