Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calcium in well water?

Arklin K. wrote:
Following up on the crud on my pool walls, I called a water softener
company over who arrived today to give me a $6,000 quote to put in a
water softener system in my garage.
http://www.kinetico.com/assets/pdf/P..._Softeners.pdf

Kinetico model 2060 home water system (two tanks + a brine tank, no
electricity, self cleaning) $600 installation + $5400 including tax.

Here is a picture of the 'crud' on my garden hose:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8281448.jpg

The guy tested my water at 12 to 14 grains of Calcium (he said he
tested a neighbor at 25 grains plus half a grain of iron which he
says makes it 30 grains). He said a grain is 17 ppm so 14 grains is
about the 200 ppm calcium hardness that Leslie's Pool tested the well
water at.

He said up to 3 grains is soft, 6 grains is medium and 9 grains is
hard, so, he said, mine is super hard.

He provided a litany of bad things that will happen, from bubbling hot
water tanks with a foot of calcium on the bottom to clogged pipes and
dirty shower stalls, spotty dishes, dirty clothes, and dirty cars.

The only things I 'see' are the pool has Calcium on the walls, and the
kitchen kettle gets a white coating on the bottom after a week of
use. I also hear the hot water tank bubbling (which he says is due to
chunks of the foot-thick coating cracking and then the water hits the
super hot bottom of the hot water heater and turns into steam).

While these are not good things, can't I get a home water softener for
less (much less?) than six thousand bucks installed?

Yes you can. For about $600-$900 plus installation. If you can cut and
join pipes you can DIY.

Get one with a Fleck valve.

--

dadiOH