Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default About Fire... Is there an explanation for the flames?

Probably more off topic than on, but I was burning some twigs and rotten
logs, when suddenly a question arose. Probably more of a science
question. But is there really an answer?

The question is this: What are the flames made of? Yes, I know that
they are the gasses from burning wood, or from gas or oil, or anything
else that burns. These gasses mix with oxygen and burn. That is all
understood. What is not understood is what is the actual flame that we
see? They are usually yellow and orange and semi transparent. Or they
are blue from natural or LP gas and also semi transparent. They emit
light and heat. But what is the flame and why do we see it?

Maybe I'm getting too deep in my thinking about it. After all, its
called FIRE, and maybe there is no further explanation. But the flames
are real. They can be seen. Yet, what are they?

We know how the light from a lightbulb is created and florescent lights
are different than filament types, because they produce ultraviolet
light (which we can not see), but that makes the florescent particles
glow. While we can explain how light is created from light bulbs, I've
never gotten a real explanation about how fire becomes visible. Does it
also produce ultraviolet? Is there some florescent type material in the
gasses that make it glow?