Posted to alt.home.repair
Arklin K. Arklin K. is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calciumin well water?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 22:54:35 -0400, Duesenberg wrote:
I would never buy a softner from a big box store or sears. Do your
reasearch, many of them are poorly built with poor quality valves.

The salesman told me that the ones at Costco and Sears are membrane
filters and he said that, at 12 to 14 grains, they would get clogged in
months.

I don't know if that's true or not though ...

Ours has filtration and we paid $2100 installed.

Ah, that's about 1/3 the price I was quoted in the Silicon Valley!

Our softener is programmed to flush out every 550 gallons.

This one he tried to sell me would be programmed for 600 gallons. So
those numbers jive.