Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calcium in well water?

On Thu, 17 May 2012 14:02:09 -0700 (PDT), Dottie
wrote:

The county changed our water recipe sometime last year and now we have
a lot more calcium and lime deposits than before. We have a water
softener - for the whole house - and it had always worked just fine.
It still does for the most part but I have scrub to get the white
spots off the sink and use Jet Dry in the dishwasher. My neighbors
have the same problem -- and they have water softeners, too. The
point is -- don't expect the water softener to stop your problem.

The softener need to be adjusted for the new water mix if it is higher
in calcium or other minerals. It must be regenerated more frequently
too.

A good softener properly adjusted for your water will give zero
hardness.

Suggest you get
several bids --

Don't buy on price alone. A good unit properly setup and serviced by
a reputable company is far more important than saving fifty bucks up
front. Find a reliable seller.