Posted to alt.home.repair
Duesenberg Duesenberg is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calciumin well water?

On 5/17/2012 4:54 PM, Arklin K. wrote:
Following up on the crud on my pool walls, I called a water softener
company over who arrived today to give me a $6,000 quote to put in a
water softener system in my garage.
http://www.kinetico.com/assets/pdf/P..._Softeners.pdf

Kinetico model 2060 home water system (two tanks + a brine tank, no
electricity, self cleaning) $600 installation + $5400 including tax.

Here is a picture of the 'crud' on my garden hose:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8281448.jpg

I have an ECOWater softener and I would NEVER use it for pool or garden.
Our water is 28 grain and the softener is for indoor water use only.

I would never buy a softner from a big box store or sears. Do your
reasearch, many of them are poorly built with poor quality valves. Many
of them are built by Ecowater, HOWEVER Ecowater build their own branded
with 5 layers of resin and much better quality valves than the 1 layer
of resin for the sears/home depot crap.

Ours has filtration and we paid $2100 installed. We expect it to last
25 years. Make sure you do your research on Valves for water softeners

Our softener is programmed to flush out every 550 gallons. Frankly I
wouldn't waste softened water on outdoor use and it's not reccommended
for gardening..

Should mention that Culligan has had bankruptcy issues in the past and
you may have to research your local dealer. Some are great and some are
poor but I bet most are better that the big box stores.