Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Do I need $6,000 water softener for 12 to 14 grains of calciumin well water?

On 05/17/12 04:54 pm, Arklin K. wrote:

Following up on the crud on my pool walls, I called a water softener
company over who arrived today to give me a $6,000 quote to put in a
water softener system in my garage.
http://www.kinetico.com/assets/pdf/P..._Softeners.pdf

Kinetico model 2060 home water system (two tanks + a brine tank, no
electricity, self cleaning) $600 installation + $5400 including tax.

Here is a picture of the 'crud' on my garden hose:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8281448.jpg

The guy tested my water at 12 to 14 grains of Calcium (he said he tested
a neighbor at 25 grains plus half a grain of iron which he says makes it
30 grains). He said a grain is 17 ppm so 14 grains is about the 200 ppm
calcium hardness that Leslie's Pool tested the well water at.

He said up to 3 grains is soft, 6 grains is medium and 9 grains is hard,
so, he said, mine is super hard.

I don't know how much of our water hardness is due to calcium and how
much is due to other minerals, but ISTR that our "total hardness" is
about 150ppm. Whatever the cause of our hardness, a WaterBoss softener
costing less than $400 a few years ago, that I installed myself, seems
to take care of everything. Uses a $4 bag of salt every few months.

Perce