Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default How Much CO is too much?

On 5/16/2012 5:49 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On May 16, 11:54 am, wrote:
On 5/15/2012 7:01 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 05/15/2012 05:45 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

[snip]

It is my understanding that the main problem with CO is that it
PERMANENTLY bonds to the iron/hemoglobin, or such. Which translates to
removing those cells from carrying any oxygen. Which means post-
exposure can kill you. Takes time for the body to replace and get the
oxygenation system back up and running again. Heart patients are
REALLY sensitive.

IIRC, "permanently" is 2-3 months, the lifetime of a red blood cell.

bunk. cite please. if that were true, there would be no treatment except
for complete blood replacement, or at least massive transfusions.

http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-treatment-over...

normal treatment is application of 100% O2, which drives off the CO from
the bloodstream.

I preferenced my statement with "It is my understanding..." to
indicate that the statement was based upon memory and not citable
scientific/medical literature. Actually based upon undergraduate
experience in a COLD climate and listening to the gossip after some
dating couple had succumbed to CO poisoning from an idling engine as
the couple said goodbyes [no pun intended] while inside a warm car.

From your reference:
"The goal of treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is to remove
carbon monoxide from the hemoglobin in your blood and bring the oxygen
level in your blood back to normal." Evidently in the presence of
'pure' oxygen, the hemoglobin - CO bond can be broken.

The article did go on to say that hyperbaric pressure treatment was
sometimes necessary.

All much safer than whole blood transfusions. But, I bet they work.

Relative safety depends on the severity of the CO poisoning and the
presence or absence of other medical problems. Patients with emphysema
or other significant lung abnormalities, or with "holes" in their hearts
(septal defects) are not good candidates for hyperbaric oxygen; massive
transfusion might be safer. In the absence of significant cardiac or
pulmonary pathology, hyperbaric treatment is much faster, easier,
cheaper, and safer than massive transfusion.