Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT If only.

On Wed, 16 May 2012 07:13:45 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

harry wrote:

Besides, 'over-yonder' the innocent go to jail.

In the USA they are executed.

Assume the accused DID NOT commit the act for which he was condemned. Then
consider the three rationales for punishment:

* Protection of society from further depradations of the evil-doer is
obviously non-operative since the accused is not an actual evil-doer.
* Rehabilitation of the offender is similarily off the table in that the
accused doesn't need rehabilitation.
* Deterrence of those with evil ambitions.

The latter is still in play.

As the Lord High Mayor once said to the condemned on the gibbet: "Oh, we're
not hanging you because you killed Charlie, we're hanging you so that others
won't kill."

harry doesn't understand deterrence. You are way over his head on
this one.