Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.lighting
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Fixed my porch light, not sure how

"TimR" wrote in message

The 80V terminal to terminal on the switch was with the switch off AND
no lamp in the fixture. With switch on, it went to 0 as I'd expect.
It was consistent with several measurements and was the same as wire
to wire with the switch removed (and still no lamp in the fixture).
That surprised me. And then when I went outside and put the same
meter on the fixture and got 120 V I was suprised again.

After work tonight I'll put the analog on it and see.

One thing that you can also try with the analog is to set it to the highest
voltage scale. If you show anything that is less than the next scale down,
switch to that scale, the meter will stay almost the same physical place if
a 'phantom voltage', you can then go to the next lower scale and the meter
will not move much from the same physical point.
The actual voltage the meter reads will be differant, but the physical
point will not move much.

This digital vers analog comes up almost as much as the WD-40 being oil or
not.