Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Flat tires. Didn't we just do this?

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
... my favorite uses a mushroom shaped plug made of rubber. ...

http://www.compacc.com/p/Stop-Go-Tub...e-Plug-Gun-Kit

That looks like it would be really effective. I'm really impressed that
it can push the plug through a puncture hole.

It says "This kit is designed to get you home or to a repair shop to
have the tire patched professionally", but I don't imagine that a shop
would be able to patch it any better. Unless they took the tire off the
wheel & patched it from the inside. Do they do that?

Bob

If you find any kit that says it gives you a professional seal inside
and out it must require you dismount the tire.

The probe that goes inside the nose of the tool is a tempered steel
shaft about 1/4" diameter. The nose is tapered on the outside as well so
you just push hard and the entire tool goes through the hole. There are
a couple types of plugs which are in the kit. They are different
diameters relaxed and different lengths as well.

Ed mentions that they don't work as well on slashes. In that he is
correct. But the string types also have trouble there. For those the
best solution is to pop one bead and use a mushroom nail style patch
from the inside. That way the hole is sealed from the inside and the
nail seals the belts and tread.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachme...plug-patch.jpg
are what they look like.

--