Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Flat tires. Didn't we just do this?

On Wed, 16 May 2012 09:55:02 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

... my favorite uses a mushroom shaped plug made of rubber. ...

http://www.compacc.com/p/Stop-Go-Tub...e-Plug-Gun-Kit

That looks like it would be really effective. I'm really impressed that
it can push the plug through a puncture hole.

It says "This kit is designed to get you home or to a repair shop to
have the tire patched professionally", but I don't imagine that a shop
would be able to patch it any better. Unless they took the tire off the
wheel & patched it from the inside. Do they do that?

Bob

As a card-carrying cheapskate who has plugged many tires -- some of
them multiple times -- let me pass on a couple of thoughts.

The round, expanding plugs -- often with the mushroom head, like the
one linked to above -- work fine if the hole is nice and round and
within a range of normal sizes. They're no good if a shard of steel or
glass cut a small slit in your tire.

For that, the string-type plugs are far more versatile. There are
several recommended ways of using them. If the hole is tight, I like
to butter them with rubber tire cement before inserting themn, as a
lubricant. It often comes with the kits. And I give the string a good
twist -- 360 degrees or more -- before extracting the needle. That
leaves a nice wad of rubberized string on the inside. I've never had
one fail, except for one in a sidewall, in over 30 years.

If the hole is big, double or even triple the string. Use a VERY sharp
knife to cut it off, maybe 1/8" proud of the tire. The rubbery goop
will require paint thinner or gasoline to get it off of the blade.

As for temporary versus permanent, they are not vulcanized like a
professional inside patch, so they are always temporary. So are tires.
g In NJ, it's not legal for a commercial shop to use these things.
They have to do a vulcanized patch. At least, that was true 10 years
ago.

One last thing: After trying many types, I prefer the simple,
straight-handled needle, that looks like a screwdriver. If the hole is
tight, I make sure I have the tire rotated into a position where I can
press on the end of the needle handle with my foot. It sometimes takes
that much force -- and a sensitive foot. Leave plenty of string on the
outside in case your foot pushes too far.

Good luck.

--
Ed Huntress