Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default a problem with electric meters?

wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2012 20:37:20 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

A "smart" meter costs about $200 and about $40 worth of labor to
install it.

How is that going to be $40?
If it took 3 minutes to read the meter, it was about a minute longer
to replace it. The guy had the power off for about 10 seconds and it
took another 10 seconds to wrap the ring around it and clip on the
seal. He was doing them 4 at a time (each trip from the truck)
I bet they do 16-20 an hour.

I asked the meter replacement man how many a day he does. He said "about
40." If the company absorbs about $30/hr for his labor ($240/day), that's
six bucks. Then there is the cost for the truck, paperwork, disposing of the
old meter, and other incidentals. My guess of $40 may be high, but not
unreasonably so.

Besides, $40 in the original computation made the numbers come out more
easily than if I had used $7.53.