Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default DVD player says No disc...

wrote in message
news:21921252.464.1337100612581.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynbp1...
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:46:11 PM UTC-4, Dave wrote:
Can anyone tell me how most DVD players detect the disc? I have a JVC
XV-N40 Super VCD/DVD/CD player on the fritz. It was providing only a
trashy
picture until I blew canned air into the port where the disc caddy goes in
and out. That gave me an even trashier picture, so I took the cover off
and
sprayed some CRC QD contact cleaner over the laser/read head (thinking it
was already broken, so...) Now it comes up and reports the absence of a
disc, even when it has a disc. Have I totally trashed my device, or is
there still hope? I did run a Q-Tip in and around the area, but to no
avail. I am guessing that the laser is seen to reflect off the disc, and
the disc is then spun up to speed for reading. How far wrong am I here?
Any help is appreciated. Wondering if I just have ot trash this one...

Thanks,

Dave

There is a good chance that you now have an relatively opaque film over the
optics. This will prevent the laser light from passing through and thus not
be able to detect a disk. Nothing should ever be sprayed onto or near the
optics. At this point, try cleaming the surface of the lens using a cotton
swab and alcohol. You have nothing to lose.

Dan

Thank you, Dan. That was basically what I suspected I had done, just didn't
think of the alcohol. One question: Radio Shack had a head cleaner which is
basically a disk with a line of brush fibers across it. Could this be of
any help, do you think? Just wondeirng...

Thanks again,

Dave