Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default DVD player says No disc...

Can anyone tell me how most DVD players detect the disc? I have a JVC
XV-N40 Super VCD/DVD/CD player on the fritz. It was providing only a trashy
picture until I blew canned air into the port where the disc caddy goes in
and out. That gave me an even trashier picture, so I took the cover off and
sprayed some CRC QD contact cleaner over the laser/read head (thinking it
was already broken, so...) Now it comes up and reports the absence of a
disc, even when it has a disc. Have I totally trashed my device, or is
there still hope? I did run a Q-Tip in and around the area, but to no
avail. I am guessing that the laser is seen to reflect off the disc, and
the disc is then spun up to speed for reading. How far wrong am I here?
Any help is appreciated. Wondering if I just have ot trash this one...

Thanks,

Dave