Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much CO is too much?

On May 15, 8:43*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2012 02:50:22 -0700, mike wrote Re
How Much CO is too much?:

So, took it outside and it reads 28PPM.
There's a light breeze, so any local source oughta dissipate??

It looks like you have a CO source upwind of you. *Bad news.

I wonder what it would read at ground level in Hong Kong?

Given that he has two other detectors that are silent and
the symptoms I would expect that it's a faulty detector.

He could check with that guy Holmes on TV. He seems
to have a fetish for CO. Every garage he goes into he
immediately declares it's not sealed sufficiently from the
rest of the house and how everyone is gonna die. He
says your car is gonna gas the whole place with CO
and kill the kids.
Seems much overdone to me. I don't know about Holmes, but my car
only runs with the garage door
wide open, the exhaust right at the door pointed out,
and for 15 secs or so.

And as someone else pointed out in another post a
while back, how much CO does a typical modern car
give off? With the catalytic converters and EPA
mandates, I would expect it's a small fraction of what
it was 40 years ago. Now, if you close the garage door
and run the car, that's another story.