Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Windows -- why vinyl?

On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:08:09 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2012 03:11:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

All this talk about repl/new windows! My vinyls have been in my house for 20 years, mint condition. They're so efficient all they did was turn my house into a chimney! Â*All the heat was rising up through the attic.

I had to beef up my attic insulation to match, and now the boiler runs about 1/3 as long as it used to.

Lesson? Heat RISES . Very little escapes sideways, through windows. Â*So insulate that attic, the floor only, unless it will be lived in. Â*Repair cracked plaster ceilings or replace with sheetrock. Â*This will eliminate drafts creating the illusion of worn out windows & doors.

And only then, replace windows when they are really loose or dont stay up. Â*Better off repairing/retrofitting doors - a lot more "drafts" can be eliminated that way.

#1. Insulate attic & tighten up ceilings.($$)

#2. Doors.($$$$)

#3. Windows($$$$$$!)

Unless you house has those crappy sashless windows that were so
common in the sixties and seventies - or the crappy aluminum framed
loose-fit sliders form the same era, or the wood frames (jams) have
ratted - which is a common occurence - in which case installing
"inserts" is a loosing battle and totally foolhardy.

My brick house had standard wood double-hungs.
And aluminum triple track storms.
Had all that removed, and vinyl thermal-glass crank-out inserts put
in.
It was all simple and clean.
They pulled the storms, outside blind stops, and removed the window
sashes from the outside.
They filled all voids in the existing and sound frame with fiberglass.
(The old windows had side springs, not sash weights.)
They braked and nailed in aluminum flashing on the old frame.
The inserts fit in flush against the inner stops, which were never
even disturbed. 2 screws per side on the inside fastened the insert
to the frame. They shot foam in, but not much because there was
hardly any gap.
Then a thin bead of caulk all around the inserts, and the outside of
the flashing.
I just inspected the windows. After 7 years it all looks good.
Might have to dress up the caulk in 5 years or so.
I love it not having window painting/maintenance to think about.
Unless you get up close, they look no different than wood windows.
You lose about an inch of opening with an insert.
In my case I gained many inches of glass and light, because I
eliminated the double-hung middle horizontal sashes.
All the windows were plenty wide to begin with.
I can see how you have to give some thought to the cosmetics of
windows, and I did, and I'm happy with the look.
Exterior trim - which I don't have - has to be considered.
But the mechanics of it are simple if you have sound frames and can
find inserts to fit.
That was no problem for me.

--
Vic