Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default a problem with electric meters?

On 5/15/2012 7:21 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

1. they are a radiation hazard since they RF the data back to the host
2. they are a privacy problem because they can send usage data in real
time
3. they do not read low like a 40 year old, worn out mechanical meter
so you bill will go up.

#3 is probably driving the other two.

Agree-- but you missed
#4 - they are new so they must be evil.

My thoughts too.

I was surprised that I didn't notice when they replaced my 30yr old
electric meter that I didn't notice a spike.

Same here, our old meter was around 30 years old when they replaced it
with a smart meter maybe two years ago. There was no difference in the bill.

My water went up a bit when they replaced that 40+ yr old one-- but
not enough to worry about.

Jim