Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_6_] Jon Danniken[_6_] is offline

Default Cost for stump grinding?

hr(bob) wrote:
I'm cutting out my own stump, but I am curious what sort of money I am
saving by doing it myself.

I don't really want the stump ground down as then I would be left with
a hole full of chips which I know will settle after a year or two.
Places that I have seen that leave the stump in the ground, but cut
off 4-8 unches below the surface so grass will grow don't seem to
settle, for whatever reason. This is in a moist area so I don't
anticipate problems growing grass, the actual stump is only about 18 -
20 inches in diameter, I have cut it at least 4 inches below ground
level so moisture shold be available without any problems.

Anyone paid for stump grinding separate from having the tree cut
down??

No, but I did have a cedar tree with a 24" trunk dropped a number of years
ago (it was growing too close to the house). I didn't do anything for a few
years (since it's cedar, it wasn't going anywhere), but when I did I used a
pick mattock and dug a little trench around it, down to maybe 24" breaking
all the little rootlets in the process.

At that point I took a chainsaw to it and cut it into sections. Hit a lot
of dirt with each cut, dulling the blade, which caused me to get really good
at sharpening the chainsaw with a file.

It was a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

Jon