Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset

On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:19:24 -0700, Kate wrote:

Help! I don't know where to start.

The previous owners have at least three coats of paint on my front door.
From the elements, the paint has hair line cracks in it.
Can a professional painter sand and repaint, or paint over it?
I know you cannot tell me without probably seeing the door.
I hate to get a new door as it is in great shape otherwise.

Also, the door handle and dead bolt is corroded from the elements.
Does anyone have a Baldwin lockset and if so, is it really guaranteed to
last as advertised?

If I get a new handle and deadbolt, will it fit the old holes, or is it
best to let a locksmith order the set and install it?

Finally, should I get the new lockset installed first? My thinking is
if I need to have the painter patch an old hole, I would want to paint
after the lockset is installed.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am really confused as how to
tackle this project.

Many thanks.

Kate

You don't say what kind of door - solid wood, veneered, steel,
fiberglass, etc.

Generally cracked/crazed paint CAN be sanded down and painted, but
depending on the pattern (six panel, etc) it can be a difficult, time
consuming, and therefore pricey job. A straight slab door - no
problem.

As for the latchset, you MAY be able to find one that is a direct fit.
If not, you want to plug and finish the old hole and redrill the new
bolt location and test fit the latch-set before painting, then remove
- finish sand the door, repaint, and then after the paint is fully
dried, replace the latchset.